As some of you know, I commute for about two hours a day on the MTA’s NYC subway. I do a lot of reading, but I also listen to podcasts and songs on my iPod (a fifth gen “video” model). According to my ipod, I’ve played 1,356 songs this year (some them numerous times, so I approximate that I listened to about 4,000 songs all told). Over 800 tracks were added this year and of those nearly 500 were played an average of three times each.
The following list might be embarrassing, but it is scientific because a track isn’t counted as “played” unless it plays completely to the end. (In my opinion, Apple should modify the software so that a track is counted as “played” if it’s, say, 90% complete, but that’s another matter).
So here are the top seven played albums that were released in 2007 (there wasn’t enough valid data to select ten full albums). Christmas is coming and each album would make a great gift for the geeky music-lover in your life.
- Kill To Get Crimson – Mark Knopfler (208 there were a total of song-plays from this album)
- Wincing The Night Away – The Shins (205)
- Raising Sand – Robert Plan and Alison Krauss (82)
- In Rainbows – Radiohead (68)
- Sound Of Silver – LCD Soundsystem (44)
- In Our Bedroom After The War – Stars (38)
- In Our Nature – José González (30)